A statue turned its head
Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska Church was built in 1924 with local granite stones. It contributed to the flourishing of devotion to St. Anne among the Acadian people. In 1947, an imposing statue of Saint Anne was erected between the two steeples of the church in Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska, New Brunswick.
In 1956, Father Fidèle Poitras was appointed parish priest. It was during his mandate that the statue perched on the façade became the talk of the town in January 1961, when the parish hall fell prey to the flames that threatened the presbytery and the neighbouring houses. Some parishioners invoked Saint Anne to protect the buildings. Despite the strong winds and the proximity of the blaze, the presbytery and the houses were spared.
As they looked up to the statue of their patron saint to give thanks, pious people noticed that the good St. Anne was looking peacefully towards the site of the fire. Devotees of St. Anne say that she turned towards the site of the fire. On the roof of the church you can see the statue of St. Anne with Mary beside her, looking peacefully towards the east. According to the elders of the parish, the fire that stopped and the abnormal position of the statue were a miraculous manifestation of the good Saint Anne. The church is located at 99, Principale street, Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska, New-Brunswick, E7E 1A8.