Our Lady of Mount-Saint-Joseph Oratory


It all began in 1868, when Mother Marie-Anne Marcelle Mallet installed a statue of the Sacred Heart at the top of Mount Saint-Joseph, near Carleton-sur-Mer, in the Gaspé Peninsula (Quebec). At the time, the mountain was called Cap-Ferré. Ten years later, on July 17, 1878, when fishermen and farmers were going through hard times, it was decided to plant a seven-meter high cross on the mountain in order to draw God’s blessings on the fisheries and crops. As prayers were answered, the mountain became more and more a place of pilgrimage. A small statue of St. Joseph was also placed there.

A major fire destroyed part of the mountain in 1923, but the small statue of St. Joseph was spared. Two years later, the parish erected a new statue of St. Joseph, larger than the previous one. 

In 1935, on the initiative of the parish priest, Father Joseph Plourde, a fieldstone chapel was built. At first, only the cult of St. Joseph was celebrated there. Later, in the context of the Marian year of 1954, a devotion to the Virgin was added. The place then took the name of Our Lady of Mount-Saint-Joseph Oratory. A small residence named Hermitage was built near the oratory in 1955 to house a priest during the summer. As the number of pilgrims increased, it became necessary to enlarge the chapel in the 1960s. A beautiful fresco representing the crowned Virgin Mary adorns the back of the choir, and one can see, on the side of the epistle, the statue of Saint Joseph from 1925.



Sources :